The Arlington Talent Program
The Answer to Our Tech Talent Shortage
The region’s need for skilled technologists is immense, but new developers’ careers are stifled by businesses that require two years of experience for entry-level roles. In partnership with Arlington Economic Development, Exelaration helps aspiring software engineers get their foot in the door of a great tech career through the Arlington Talent Program.
While participants gain a new career, the Arlington community and its businesses gain world-class software solutions and vetted engineers ready to integrate into the tech workforce upon program completion.
How the Program Works
The Arlington Talent Program connects early career developers with a temporary, full-time role at Exelaration. Participants gain the essential skills and experience they need to grow their tech careers under the guidance of expert mentors.
Here’s how we do it:
- Prospective participants fill out their application and complete the interview process.
- Selected applicants join the Arlington Talent Program for a paid, full-time software developer role for 12 weeks.
- Throughout the 12-week program, participants work with Exelaration’s expert tech engineers on real client projects to learn skills in software development, testing, and more through experiential learning.
- Following the program, participants are equipped to pursue a long-term career in the tech field. Some participants may be invited to continue working on a client project with Exelaration.
Applications for Spring 2024 Are Now Closed
Ready to unlock your career potential? Join the Arlington Talent Program and be part of a life-changing experience. Apply now to start your professional tech journey with confidence.
- Live in Arlington or Alexandria, Virginia, and be able to report to our Arlington office three days per week
- Be able to commit to the 40-hour program for 12 weeks (January 23, 2024 – April 12, 2024)
- Have access to a computer and reliable wi-fi
- Have their GED, high school diploma, or equivalent
- Legally live and work in the U.S. without need for future employer sponsorship
- Successfully complete a background check if accepted
Please check back Spring 2024.
See Arlington Talent in Action
Initial Program Results
The Arlington Talent Pilot Program’s preliminary results are more than numbers; they’re real-world achievements reflective of each participant’s personal and professional growth. We are proud to report:
- A 100% program completion rate
- The majority of participants are now full-time tech employees
- An average 26% pay increase for all participants, which will continue to increase with time
- An average increase of 11 working hours, or 38% work rate increase, per week
Become an Arlington Talent Program Sponsor
Building up Arlington’s tech community is a group effort. While Exelaration is the expert in engineering and mentoring, we’re partnering with select organizations to give participants the most well-rounded program possible. Through events, networking, projects, donations, lectures, and more, you can help make our community even greater.
A Thank You to Our Partners
Meet Mark Washington: Arlington resident, army veteran, father of four, and barber turned software developer. Mark joined us in 2023 when the Capital Youth Empowerment Program connected him with the Arlington Talent Program. Following just 12 weeks of training and mentoring, Mark began working on real client projects. Today, Mark works as a full-time software developer. His ultimate career goal is to give others the same life-changing opportunity through tech mentorship.
“Since joining Exelaration, I’ve learned so much. I’m more confident that getting into the tech industry was a great career move. I’ve had the pleasure of meeting and working with remarkable developers. The connections I’ve made will be one of the best career resources one could ask for. My only regret is not doing this sooner.”
The tech world has made careers in the field seem so unapproachable and complex that it’s built a self-fulfilling barrier of intimidation and exclusion. Exelaration gives emerging engineers the experience and confidence they need to overcome this obstacle.